To read the complete act or fill out the request form, see Freedom of Information Act (PDF file).
I. A brief description of our public body is as follows:
- Our purpose is to provide materials and services for the recreational, social, informational, and educational needs of the community.
- An organizational chart is attached.
- The total amount of our operating budget for the current fiscal year is: $160,000. Funding sources are property and personal property replacement taxes, state and federal grants, fines, charges, and donations. Tax levies are:
- Corporate purposes (for general operating expenditures)
- Social Security (provides for employee’s FICA costs and related expenses)
- Audit (for annual audit and related expenses)
- Maintenance (for maintaining the building)
5. Tort Liability (for insurance premiums, risk management, attorney’s fees and related expenses, unemployment and worker’s compensation insurance)
6. Debt Service (for bond and interest payments)
- The office is located at this address: 301 S. Taylor St., Towanda, IL61776
- We have the following number of persons employed:
1. 3/4-time 1
2. Part-time (1/2 time or less) 6
- The following organization exercises control over our policies and procedures: The Towanda District Library Board of Library Trustees, which meets monthly on the third Tuesday of each month, 7:00 p.m., at the library.
Its members are: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and others.
- We are required to report and be answerable for our operations to:
IllinoisState Library, Springfield, Illinois. Its members are: State Librarian, Jesse White, Secretary of State); Director of State Library, Anne Craig; and various other staff.
II. You may request the information and the records available to the public in the following manner:
- Use attached request form, email, fax, write a letter or in person. We ask that any messages have FOIA REQUEST written in the subject line or on the outside of the envelope.
- Your request should be directed to the following individual: Library Board President, FOIA officer or Karen Bersche, FOIA Officer and Director at 301 South Taylor Street, Towanda, IL, 61776.
- You must specify the records requested to be disclosed for inspection or to be copied. If you desire that any records be certified, you must specify which ones. You must state if you have a commercial purpose in your request.
- To reimburse us our actual costs for reproducing and certifying (if requested) the records, you will be charged the following fees of.50 per page for employee copied records or between $20 and $100 for records requested in a portable document format. Voluminous requests: The officer shall respond to a voluminous request within 5 days of receipt. The officer shal provide a person making a voluminous request 10 business days from the date the public body’s response is sent to amend the request in such a way that the public body will no longer treat the request as voluminous. If the request continues to be voluminous or the requester fails to respond, the officer shall respond within the earlier 5 business days after it receives the response or 5 business days after the final day for the requester to respond to the library’s notification.
- The office will respond to a written request within five (5) working days or sooner if possible. In accordance with Illinois Law, an extension of an additional five (5) working days may be necessary to properly respond.
- Records may be inspected or copied. If inspected, an employee must be present throughout the inspection.
- You may appeal the decision of the FOIA officer to the Board of Library Trustees.
- The place and times where the records will be available are as follows:
During library’s open hours prior to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday at Towanda District Library.
III. Certain types of information maintained by us are exempt from inspection and copying. However, the following types or categories of records are maintained under our control:
- Monthly Financial Statements
- Annual Receipts and Disbursements Reports
- Budget and Appropriation Ordinances
- Levy Ordinances
- Operating Budget
- Minutes of the Board of Library Trustees
- Library Policies, including Materials Selection
- Annual Reports to the Illinois State Library
Please note that certain types of information maintained by the library are exempt from inspection and copying prior to redaction.
Updated June 26, 2015