The Towanda Township Library was established in 1939 with help from the Federal Works Agency Project Administration. In 1943, the town assumed complete responsibility for the library and in June 1967, the Township Tax was passed. The library has been in several locations before constructing a new building in 1989. The Towanda District Library was formed on Feb. 10, 1988. Towanda District Library expanded to include Towanda Township, Blue Mound Township and portions of Money Creek Township in 2002.